Cycling is a convenient, low-cost and environmentally-friendly means of transport which is easy (thanks to the flat terrain) and good for your health too.
Wear a helmet and high visibility gear and always lock your bike securely. Showers and lockers are available at some campus locations.
If you're cycling in Christchurch, there's a wealth of cycling information available on the Christchurch City Council's website.
Cycle stands are available on campus at the locations below. See our sustainable transport maps for our City campus (PDF 0.1MB) and Woolston campus (PDF 0.1MB) that show where our secure cycle stands, cycle lanes and public cycle tools are.
- NS Block basement, Madras Street entrance (covered, entry by student or staff card)
- E Block, western entrance (covered)
- Various stands around the campus (uncovered)
- At the rear of the car park, south of the campus buildings
- A Block (south side)
- L Block (south side)
- I Block (west and south sides)
- J Block (south side)
- G Block (north side)
- D Block (south side of engineering workshops)
- There is also a dedicated motorcycle parking space in the carpark east of A Block.
- Next to Room 122, near the campus reception
Need an easy way to get around the central city? Cycle!
With nextbike, you can grab a bike, helmet and lock from the hub at the main entrance to the Rakaia Centre or outside the VF block at Woolston, and transport yourself to your destination cheaply, conveniently and greenly. Plus, your first half hour is free!
Simply register online, download the nextbike app, follow the instructions at the hub, then you’re on your bike. Once you’ve finished your ride, return your bike to the hub and you're done.
Find out more here.
Please note: we are not linked to the Christchurch city bike share system, so you must return the bike to the Ara City or Woolston campus stand.