EWRB Electrical Appliance Serviceperson
This short course will ensure you have the knowledge and practical skills required of an electrical appliance serviceperson.
By the time you complete the course, you will have passed EWRB practical assessments and be ready to sit the EWRB Electrical Appliance Serviceperson written exam.
You’ll also be able to apply for registration as an Electrical Appliance Serviceperson once you’ve passed the practical assessments, written exam and completed 18 months of prescribed maintenance of electrical appliances rated up to 230 volts, single phase supplied via plug and flexible cord.
Please contact the EWRB on 0800 66 10 00 for more information on the 18 months of prescribed work.
- A basic understanding of electrical circuits
- The electricity supply system
- Commonly used electrical terms
- The electrical safety of personnel
- The dangers of electric shock
- Basic first aid
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (level 2)
- Common protection devices
- The principles of circuit protection
- Radio and television interference suppression
- Commonly used electrical conductors
- Commonly used electrical insulators
- The composition, use and fitment of commonly used flexible cords
- Commonly used electrical fittings
- The operation and servicing of commonly used single phase electrical appliances
- The operation and use of commonly used analogue and digital electrical measuring instruments
- The principles and methods of electrical appliance testing
- A basic use and understanding of the Electricity Regulations, Standards and Codes of Practice
- An understanding of the limits of work and other responsibilities of 'A' level registration holders
|Estimated Time||2 Weeks|
Please note: You will be charged an associated external fee (if applicable) plus a portion of the compulsory Student Services Levy that supports our services available to students. For full information on the compulsory Student Services Levy, visit fees and finance.
How to Apply
To apply for one of our short courses, fill in a paper copy of our application form, available here, then either drop it in to your nearest campus or mail it to us at Enrolment Centre, Ara Institute of Canterbury, PO Box 540, Christchurch Mail Centre