Private board is when a student lives in someone else's home as a boarder.
Usually the boarder lives as part of the family, using the living areas and facilities of the house while having their own room. Full board should include breakfast and an evening meal during the week and breakfast, lunch and evening meals at weekends and on public holidays.
If you are thinking of boarding you will need to consider all or some of the following:
- It may be unacceptable to bring alcohol into the house.
- Are blankets and linen provided?
- Are there children in the home? This may make it difficult to study at times.
- Does the room provided for you have a study desk? Is it away from the main living areas of the house so that you will not be disturbed while studying.
- Are you able to have friends around?
- Explain to the home owner before you move in if you cannot eat certain types of food.
- How does the home owner feel if you are late for meals?
- Do you need to make toll calls and use the internet? If so discuss this with the home owner.
- If you smoke, check that smoking is acceptable and where you can smoke.
- If in doubt about anything, ask.
It will take a little time for the home owner and the new boarder to adjust to each other. This will include finding out where things are and what needs to be done and for the home owner to work out the best way to make a boarder feel welcome.
The cost of full board in Christchurch is around $160 - $200 per week and listings can be found on the internet.