To be eligible for one of the scholarships listed above you must meet all the of the following conditions:
- Meet the academic entry requirements for your chosen programme at the time of commencement of study
- Meet requirements for the specific scholarship you are applying for (refer website)
The personal information you provide in this application will be treated in accordance with the Privacy Act 2020. It will only be used for the purpose of assessing your application for a scholarship. As stated in the applicant’s declaration, your personal information will be held confidential to Ara.
- Include a personal statement (250-500 words) outlining your situation and the special circumstances that make you a candidate for this scholarship.
- Please identify your Rūnanga and/or iwi and hapū affiliations if applicable.
- Please identify your Pacific descent/affiliations if applicable.
Personal statement tips
- Think of your personal statement like a job application; you need to put your best foot forward and convince us that you’re the best candidate for this scholarship
- Start by introducing yourself; what’s your background, where have you studied, what’s your recent work history and what are your career goals?
- Tell us why you want to study this programme
- Do you have any experience in this area (paid or volunteer work, study, etc)?
- What makes you a good candidate for this scholarship? (Read the entry criteria thoroughly and use the information in your statement)
- Tell us how receiving a scholarship would make a difference to you
Referee Reports (two required)
Immediate family, friends or flatmates are not permitted to be referees.
Please submit two referee reports along with your application - click here to download. Please open forms using Adobe Acrobat.
These forms must be completed by a person you have known for at least 6 months.
The best referees are:
- Teachers, tutors, trainers, or lecturers
- Employers or work experience supervisors
- Sports coaches
- Volunteer work organisers
- Community leaders or religious leaders
- People you’ve worked closely with from other agencies
Please note that you may be required to attend an interview.
Ara reserves the right to withdraw scholarship provision (in year)
Ara reviews its portfolio of scholarship provision on an annual basis
Your feedback is appreciated
How did you hear about the scholarship you are applying for? Please tick all that apply: