This course will develop your ability to express yourself clearly and directly; to listen creatively and to communicate effectively. You’ll learn the basic techniques of assertive communication (verbal and non verbal) and you’ll have the opportunity to put those techniques and experiences into practice within a supportive and encouraging group atmosphere.
- Communication and assertiveness principles and styles
- Non verbal communication
- Listening skills
- Rights and needs - assertiveness (yours and others)
This course is also offered as a professional development course for organisations or groups. Contact us for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This course is three hours per week for four weeks.
Please note: You may be charged a portion of the Compulsory Student Services Fee that supports our services available to students. For full information on the Compulsory Student Services Fee, visit fees and finance.
How to apply
To apply for one of our short courses, fill in a paper copy of our application form, available here, then either drop it in to your nearest campus or mail it to us at Enrolment Centre, Ara Institute of Canterbury, PO Box 540, Christchurch Mail Centre.
- Recognise the difference between assertive, aggressive, passive and indirect behaviours.
- Demonstrate an understanding on non-verbal communication.
- Understand their rights and needs and the rights and needs of others regarding effective communication.
- Express themselves clearly and directly using 'I' statements.
- Demonstrate effective listening skills.
Mondays or Thursdays - 9am-12pm
*Please note: there will be no class on Thursday 15 November.Christchurch City campus