DegreeFull-time, 3 years
Annual Fees(indicative 2019)
Domestic$9,790 - $10,460The fee shown is for the first year of a 3-year programme. Fees for each subsequent year of study are less than the first year fee.
Course related costs$1000 per year
Domestic Applications due
International Applications due
|Christchurch - Madras Street|
About this programme
Become skilled in radio and related fields with our highly regarded radio specialisation
This highly practical programme will equip you with the skills and theory necessary to become a radio professional.
We develop your understanding of the changing media environment, your practical research skills and prepare you for a first-time position in radio or online.
You'll study production and performance while operating a commercial radio station, broadcasting throughout the Canterbury region.
Our programme has been strongly influenced by industry groups such as NZME, Mediaworks and The Radio Broadcasters Association.
Our 24-week industry internship provides you with a highly effective link between the theoretical and practical aspects of broadcasting, and gives you a working understanding of the industry demands of working in a deadlinedriven environment.
When you graduate you may move into stand-alone or network radio stations in roles as diverse as on-air presenting, news, creative writing, online content creation, programming, production, or sales and marketing.
Use this qualification as a foundation for further postgraduate study in media and communications.
Recommended school subjects
- English or English-rich subjects
- Media studies
- Relevant industry experience
To complete this Degree you are required to complete 360 credits. Please browse the guide below to view the course options currently available within this qualification.
To be a full time student you need to maintain a workload of 120 credits per year. We recommend you talk with us to ensure you choose electives to benefit your future career.
NCEA Level 3 (60 credits at Level 3 and 20 credits at Level 2 or higher) which must include 14 credits at Level 3 in each of 3 subjects from the list of approved subjects*, and
- Literacy* - 10 credits at Level 2 or above, made up of 5 credits in reading, 5 credits in writing and
- Numeracy* - 10 credits at Level 1 or above (specified achievement standards, or unit standards 26623, 26626, 26627)
Note: If you have undertaken examinations other than NCEA (eg International Baccalaureate, Cambridge examination) contact us for requirements.
* NZQA approved subjects: see http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/qualifications-standards/awards/university-entrance/
Still want to study but don't meet the Academic Requirements?
If you show that you have equivalent skills for tertiary study gained through study, work and/or life experience, you may be able to gain alternative entry.
Note: The number of courses you have to complete for this qualification may be reduced where you have relevant credits from previous study, or evidence of similar learning or experience in the workplace. Contact Ara for advice.
In addition you need to:
- Attend an Interview - Applicants who meet academic entry criteria may be required to attend an interview.
- As described in the New Zealand Broadcasting School
Portfolio Requirements form
- the completed portfolio requirements
- two reports on the applicant
- copy,voice or video depending on the specialisation the applicant is applying for.
What if English is not my first language?
If English is not your first language, we want to make sure that you will be successful in your chosen programme of study.
Please provide a result from a test or qualification on the acceptable alternatives English Proficiency Outcomes Chart.
- If you are a New Zealand Citizen or Permanent Resident, complete an Admission and Enrolment form and Ara will contact you regarding a free assessment.
- If you are not a New Zealand Citizen or Permanent resident, book an IELTS or other test through the Ara Examination Centre or in your home country.
IELTS scores used must be taken from a single IELTS Test Report Form and are valid for two years from the date of the test
OVERALL IELTS REQUIREMENTS
When there are limited spaces available we follow a selection process ranking applicants based on your application. Waitlisting is also available for this programme.
To apply for this programme please complete:
- Complete a broadcasting application pack and a Admission and Enrolment form or an international application form and send it back to us.
If you don't meet the criteria for entry into this programme, we can help you meet entry level with our foundation and bridging programmes.
Your on-the-job experience may count towards part or even all of this qualification. To learn more, contact our Centre for Assessment of Prior Learning (CAPL) .
If you have work experience in this area, or a relevant prior qualification, you may be eligible for credit recognition towards this qualification.