- analyse the role and scope of nursing practice in the management of heart failure.
- discuss cardiac physiology, pathophysiology and classification of heart failure.
- identify and analyse physiological responses to the failing heart and their relationship to clinical presentation and management.
- apply current approaches to assessment and diagnosis of heart failure and their role in acute and long term management.
- undertake holistic patient assessment: determine, obtain, utilise and evaluate appropriate information in order to prioritise and rationalise nursing and collaborative intervention.
- discuss the effects that common pharmacological intervention and administration may have upon the individual.
- apply knowledge of actual and potential implications of 'living with heart failure' and the scope of nursing practice beyond the 'acute phase' of illness.