There are several funds available to assist currently enrolled students who face unexpected financial hardship. The funds are setup to enable these students to continue their current course of study. Scholarships and awards are also available as another source of financial assistance
Each applicant is considered on its own merits as to whether it meets the scheme’s criteria. For further information visit Student Central at your campus.
Emergency Assistance Grant
Supports fully enrolled students whose continued study would be threatened by desperate, unanticipated financial circumstances. Assistance required must be for less than $100.
Ara Hardship Grant
Assists fully enrolled students whose continued study would be threatened by desperate, unanticipated financial circumstances.
Ara Completion Grant
Assists fully enrolled students where circumstances related to their study changes causing an unmanageable financial burden OR assistance to enable completion of qualifications and entry into employment.
Māori & Pasifika Trades Training Learner Support Fund
Assists fully enrolled Māori and Pasifika students whose continued study would be threatened by financial circumstances.
LIFT Completion Grant (Linwood College)
Assists fully enrolled students facing financial hardship to complete their tertiary studies with Ara. This grant is only available to students who completed at least 2 years of study at Linwood College's Senior School (Years 11-13).
Other sources of financial assistance
- The Mayor's Welfare Fund - Limited assistance with Electricity, Wood and Rent
- Temporary Additional Support, Special Needs Grant, Advance Payments
- Sorted - An independent site offering financial planning advice and calculators that will help you get sorted on money matters including debt, investments and retirement.
- Studylink - Urgent unexpected costs
- Christchurch Charity Hospital
0800 24 24 76