There are several funds available to assist currently enrolled students who face unexpected financial hardship. The funds are setup to enable these students to continue their current course of study. Scholarships and awards are also available as another source of financial assistance
Each applicant is considered on its own merits as to whether it meets the scheme’s criteria. For further information visit Student Central at your campus.
Emergency Assistance Grant
Supports fully enrolled students with emergency financial assistance of up to $100 for urgent needs to enable them to continue with their study.
Ara Hardship Grant
Assists fully enrolled students whose continued study would be threatened by unanticipated financial circumstances.
Ara Completion Grant
Assists fully enrolled students where circumstances related to their study changes causing an unmanageable financial burden OR assistance to enable completion of qualifications and entry into employment.
Māori & Pasifika Trades Training Learner Support Fund
Assists fully enrolled Māori and Pasifika students in approved programmes whose continued study or transition would be supported by financial assistance.
LIFT Completion Grant (Linwood College)
Assists fully enrolled students facing financial hardship to complete their tertiary study. This grant is only available to students who completed at least 2 years of study at Linwood College.
COVID-19 Fund for Learners Scholarship Application
This COVID-19 Fund for Learners scholarship is for any Ara domestic learner who has experienced suffering, deprivation or financial hardship due to COVID-19. There are 50 scholarships of $2,500 for study and living costs.
Ara Hardship Grant for International Students (temporary)
Assists fully enrolled International students whose continued study would be threatened by unanticipated financial circumstances due to COVID-19.
Other sources of financial assistance
- The Mayor's Welfare Fund - Limited assistance with Electricity, Wood and Rent
- Temporary Additional Support, Special Needs Grant, Advance Payments
- StudyLink - Urgent unexpected costs
- Christchurch Charity Hospital
- Angel Fund – Wahine Putea (Saving and Loan Fund) can give no-interest loans of up to $500 to women
- email email@example.com
- text or phone 022 412 6435
- Good Shepherd NZ: Home (supporting better futures for women experiencing disadvantage)
- Salvation Army Christchurch - Foodbank New Zealand (Chch City Mission)
- Compassion Trust
- Kingdom Resources
- Ngā Hau e Whā National Marae
- Citizens Advice Bureau
- Money Talks
- Christchurch Methodist Mission
- Getting help with your budget
0800 24 24 76