Study Music Arts at Ara and every day you'll be exposed to a range of music styles, instruments and skills to help you identify your strengths, your passions and the direction your music career will take – whether it's as a performer, composer, producer or industry professional working with venues and artists.
We offer two qualifications: The Certificate in Contemporary Performance, and the Bachelor of Music Arts. The degree programme is available in two strands: jazz (with pathways in percussion, performance, arranging and composition) and contemporary (with pathways in performance, percussion, production and song writing).
As a Music Arts student, you'll become proficient in your chosen instrument; write and perform in your own band(s) in purpose-built facilities including rehearsal studios and a 150-seat auditorium; record in our state-of-the-art recording studios; be inspired by workshops and masterclasses from international musicians as part of our Visiting Artist Programme.
If you choose a jazz pathway you'll also:
- learn jazz theory and improvisation on your chosen instrument
- learn the theory and practice behind being a great jazz performer, composer or arranger
- play alongside our acclaimed jazz tutors
- become part of Christchurch's exciting jazz scene
If you choose a contemporary music pathway you'll also:
- develop your skills for a career in pop, rock, electronic dance music or as a singer/songwriter
- learn how to write and arrange songs
- work alongside tutors/practicing professionals with profiles in the music industry
- work alongside well known musicians as part of the APRA songwriter in residence programme (Warren Maxwell 2014, Flip Grater 2015, Julia Deans 2016, Anna Coddington 2017, Lauren and Matt Barus, 2018)
Gain a qualification that recognises you as a leader in creative practice.
Take your professional creative career to a new level.
Study a range of courses including performance, composition, production, songwriting, music industry and find your place in the exciting global music community.
Enhance your talent with performance skills and embark on a career in the music industry.
Programme Code: CH4077 Level: 9 Credits: 180 Starts: February
Programme Code: CH4078 Level: 8 Credits: 120 Starts: February
Programme Code: CH3985 Level: 7 Credits: 360 Starts: February
Programme Code: NZ3418 Level: 4 Credits: 120 Starts: February