Ara Institute of Canterbury and Te Pūkenga
In January 2023, Ara Institute of Canterbury joins Te Pūkenga.
Te Pūkenga is New Zealand’s Institute of Skills and Technology. It was established as part of the government’s Reform of Vocational Education and represents the most significant change for the tertiary education sector in more than 25 years.
Te Pūkenga brings together all 16 institutes of technology and polytechnics (ITPs) in New Zealand and all Industry Training Organisations (ITOs) around the country into a single institute. The aim is to create a cohesive, sustainable vocational educational system that puts learners at the centre, helps improve wellbeing for all New Zealanders and supports a growing economy that works for everyone.
When Ara formally joins Te Pūkenga in January 2023, our local flavour and focus won’t change, but your opportunities to achieve your goals in life will become even greater thanks to the collective strength of the Te Pūkenga national network.
Te Pukenga educational priorities
Te Pūkenga has five guiding priorities:
- A relentless focus on equity and ensuring participation – we honour and uphold Te Tiriti o Waitangi in all we do.
- Delivering customised learning approaches that meet the needs of learners and trainees wherever they are.
- Using our size and scale to strengthen the quality and range of education delivery throughout Aotearoa. Excellence in educational provision for all.
- Services that meet the specific regional needs of employers and communities.
- Transition educational services in a smooth and efficient manner.