Whether you’re seeking specialist skills for employment in the hospitality, retail or distribution sectors, or you’re simply interested in wines and spirits, this short course will broaden your knowledge and give you an internationally recognised wine qualification.
You’ll taste wines and spirits from around the world and gain an understanding of their origins, production and the factors that influence their style. You’ll also learn how to interpret the labels of the major wines and spirits of the world, give basic guidance on appropriate selection and service, and understand the principles of wine tasting and evaluation.
The course incorporates the Level 2 award in Wines & Spirits from the Wine & Spirit Education Trust, a provider of globally acclaimed wine education.
- Identify the key influences on wine types and styles; identify and describe the characteristics of identified still, sparkling and fortified wines; state how to store, select and serve still, sparkling and fortified wines; identify the key methods of production for international spirits and describe the styles of identified spirits.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of the factors that influence wine style.
- Describe the characteristics of the principal grape varieties used in still wine production and the style and quality of wines produced from these grapes in the key wine producing countries and regions of the world.
- Describe the style and quality of both still wines made from regionally important grape varieties and other regionally important named wines made in the key wine producing countries of the world.
- Outline the methods used in the production of sparkling wines and describe the style of these wines produced in the key wine producing countries of the world.
- Outline the methods used in the production of sweet and fortified wines and describe the style of these wines produced in the key wine producing countries of the world.
- Outline the key principles and methods used in the production of the principal categories of international spirits and describe the styles of the spirits produced.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the process and principles involved in the storage, selection and service of wine.