This course is designed to prepare those with intermediate-level English (or higher) for the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) exam. It covers all four skills: listening, speaking, reading and writing.
In class you’ll develop these four skills and learn how to answer IELTS exam questions. You’ll have practice speaking interviews, write practice essays and take listening and reading tests. The tutor will give you individual feedback to help you improve as quickly as possible.
You’ll be asked to do some homework and there is also extra practise material available in our Language Self Access Centre (LSAC) in the library. Note: Ara is the only certified IELTS testing centre in Christchurch.
- Understand the requirements of the IELTS examination.
- Understand and demonstrate the use of appropriate examination techniques.
- Be familiar with the layout and instructions of the IELTS examination papers.
- Use written techniques to present a written report based on graphic material.
- Use written techniques to present an argument.
- Demonstrate the ability to hear, and answer questions, on a variety of spoken material.
- Read and comprehend a quantity of authentic academic written material.
- Demonstrate the skills of fluency, correct grammar, vocabulary and clarity in pronunciation.