This flexible, non-assessed course is delivered online and will help you improve your basic arithmetic. You’ll learn mathematical methods used in engineering and science, including trigonometry, errors in metric measurements, formulae and graphs.
This course is especially valuable if you’re preparing to study the New Zealand Diploma in Engineering or the Bachelor of Applied Science. As a Level 2 course you need Level 1 Mathematical Skills in order to enrol.
This course is online and can be completed any time. This course runs for 19 weeks.
- state the place value of digits in whole and decimal numbers
- perform calculations using addition, subtraction, multiplication and division on whole numbers, decimals and fractions, including the order-of-operations rule, without calculators
- round numbers to a given degree of accuracy
- give estimates for any of the above calculations, and explain the importance of estimating
- draw and interpret line, bar and pie graphs
- evaluate powers, and convert numbers to and from standard form
- convert between decimals/fractions/percentages, and perform percentage calculations
- understand and use rates and ratios, including in proportion calculations
- carry out metric conversions
- use a calculator to do any of the above calculations
- solve word problems involving any of the above calculations