Up to $2,500 reduction in Year 1 course fees
Up to 8
Closed - this scholarship has been fully allocated for 2019
Christchurch, Timaru, Oamaru, Ashburton, Online
If you are interested in subjects that will prepare you to work in careers featured on the Canterbury Skills Shortages list or the Long Term Skill Shortages list, these scholarships are for you.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must:
- Be a New Zealand Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Meet (or intend to meet) the entry requirements for your chosen programme of study
- Study a programme, which is eligible for this scholarship (see below) full time.
- Be applying to Ara for a new programme of study which is represented on the Skills Shortages Lists (eligible programmes below).
You are not eligible for this scholarship if you started your current programme in (or before) 2018 and are returning to your second or third year.
We encourage all learners eligible for an Ara scholarship to apply. Before you complete your Ara scholarship application, check out your eligibility for the government’s fees free initiative. We are happy to help you out with this process. If you are eligible for only a proportion of your fees covered under the government initiative and not a full year, you may still be eligible to apply for an Ara scholarship.
If you are unsure about your eligibility please contact us.
- Bachelor of Construction (with specialisation in Construction Management and Quantity Surveying)
- NZ Diploma in Construction – Construction Management
- NZ Diploma in Construction – Quantity Surveying * NZ Certificate in Construction Related Trades (Supervisor)
- Graduate Diploma in Construction Management
- Graduate Diploma in Quantity Surveying
- Bachelor of Engineering Technology
- NZ Diploma in Engineering
- NZ Certificate in Carpentry (L4)
- NZ Certificate in Construction Trade Skills (L3) with strands in Allied Trades, Carpentry and Joinery
- NZ Certificate in Joinery (L4) with strands in Cabinetry, Timber Door & Window
- NZ Certificate in Drainlaying
- NZ Certificate in Electrical Engineering Theory (L3)
- NZ Certificate in Electrical Engineering Theory & Practice (L4)
- NZ Certificate in Engineering Fabrication Trade (L4)
- Certificate in Foundation Studies L3 (Plumbing Pretrade)
- NZ Certificate in Plumbing
- NZ Certificate in Heavy Automotive Engineering
- Bachelor of Medical Imaging
- Bachelor of Information & Communications Technology
- Bachelor of Applied Management (Business Information Systems specialisation only)
- Graduate Diploma in Information and Communications Technology
- New Zealand Certificate in Cookery L4
- New Zealand Certificate in Commercial Road Transport (Heavy Vehicle Operator) (Level 3)
How to apply
To apply for this scholarship:
- Please complete an application form (click on the apply now button on the right).
- Include a personal statement to reflect the special circumstances that make you a candidate for this scholarship, e.g:
- Reflect your career goals and the ways in which you would like to add value to your region.
- Provide two written references, which comment on your ability to succeed in this programme and attest to your character.
Please return your application to Scholarships, PO Box 540, Christchurch 8140 or email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications submitted before the early bird closing date will be given preference. Remaining scholarships will then be awarded to later applicants who meet the criteria.