Year 1 - 100% Fee reduction
Up to the equivalent of one year full time
Ara is committed to training the next Māori leaders in the construction, architecture and infrastructure industry. As part of this commitment Ara will be awarding up to four scholarships to pay for the first year of full time or part time study needed to complete our Architectural Design, Construction Management, Site Supervision or Quantity Surveying study pathways.
In response to the growing numbers of Maori tradespeople in the industry, Ara has taken up the challenge to up skill the current population with an opportunity to take their study to the next level. Students who pursue this pathway will gain invaluable knowledge both theory and practical, which can be applied in the industry.
Examples of the types of career path which you can focus on include: working for construction and building companies, subcontractors and specialist contractors, architects, local government, project management businesses or education providers. With experience you could move onto larger and/or more complex building projects and into senior management or consultancy roles.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship you must meet all of the following conditions.
- Be a New Zealand citizen or a permanent resident at the time of application
- Be of Maori descent
- Have met the academic entry criteria for the New Zealand Diploma in Construction with strands in Construction Management and Quantity Surveying, the New Zealand Diploma in Architectural Technology or the National Certificate in Construction Trades Supervision (refer to brochure or Ara website).
- Be intending to study full or part time within the above named programmes.
- This programme will be your first diploma or degree level study at any tertiary institute (except for taking entry level preparation courses)
- You may be required to attend an interview with Department of Engineering & Architectural Studies staff.
How to Apply
You can apply for this scholarship by completing an application form from www.ara.ac.nz/scholarships and returning it to Scholarships, PO Box 540, Christchurch 8140 or emailing it to: email@example.com
As part of the application you will nominate two referees who will be contacted to provide a reference for you.
One should come from a teacher or principal who is able to comment on your academic performance and your ability to succeed in this programme or someone from your workplace who can attest to your relevant experience. The other should be from someone able to attest to your character and should not be a family member.
Late applications may be considered.