Preview Email Content
CertificateFull time – 34 weeks
Annual Fees(indicative 2017)
Domestic$5,300 - $6,100
InternationalThis programme is not available to international students
Course related costsAdvised on enrolment
Domestic Applications due
|Received all year|
International Applications due
|This programme is not available to international students|
Combine your interest and skills in production, engineering, trucks, large agricultural machinery and other heavy vehicles with this pre-trade qualification and specialise in automotive heavy engineering.
You will cover a wide range of heavy equipment topics through both theory and practical learning. To ensure you gain a thorough understanding of automotive engineering the initial part of this programme is studied alongside other motor industry programmes.
Once this part is completed your specialist study begins, and you will have the opportunity to decide which section of the industry you would prefer to focus on.
By successfully completing this programme you will have completed some of the compulsory core and core elective sections of the Level 3 National Certificate in Motor Industry (Automotive Heavy Engineering).
The programme is designed to help you gain an apprenticeship and give you a head start into employment. You will use industry-standard equipment in our specialist workshop and complete work placement to ensure you have plenty of experience when applying for apprenticeships or employment.
This programme covers:
- Work safety and emergency procedures
- Measuring, testing, diagnosing and repairing electrical, electronic, wiring and lighting systems
- Testing, diagnosing and servicing cooling systems
- Knowledge of internal combustion engines
- Knowledge of drive line components
- Inspecting, testing, diagnosing and repairing diesel fuel injection systems and intake and exhaust systems
- Knowledge of automotive heavy equipment braking systems and hydraulic systems
- Applying lubricants, sealants and service bearings
- Understanding technical data and language in the area of automotive heavy engineering.
- Welding using, gas, manual arc and gas metal arc.
This programme is also offered for Youth Guarantee students. You can apply for these options if you're 16 to 19 years of age and no longer at school, or if you're planning on leaving school.
Credit recognition is available for this programme; if you have related skills, knowledge and/or experience, it may count towards part or even all of the qualification.
To learn more about credit recognition please see our Centre For Assessment of Prior Learning.
To complete this Certificate you are required to complete a minimum total of 121 credits. Please browse the guide below to view the course options currently available within this qualification.
To be a full time student you need to maintain a workload of 120 credits per year. We recommend you talk with us to ensure you choose electives to benefit your future career.
To enter this programme it is desirable that you have at least 3 years secondary education and at least 24 credits at NCEA Level 1 (or equivalent) made up of 12 credits in english and 12 credits in maths.
- Applications from mature students (over 20 years) are welcome.
- If you don't have the stated entry criteria, talk to us about whether you have the equivalent skills and knowledge or to determine if this is the right programme for you.
You may also be asked to attend an interview and complete a pre-entry test to indicate your level of knowledge and technical ability.
OVERALL IELTS REQUIREMENTS
To apply for this programme please complete an Admission and Enrolment form or an International Application form.
Alternatively, if you feel you have gained your learning through on the job experience talk to us about recognition or assessment of prior learning .
Gain employment or an apprenticeship within:
- Road transport service and repair
- Agricultural equipment service and repair
- Plant and equipment service and repair
- Materials handling service and repair
- Sales, service and repair of marine plant and equipment
Study pathways include the National Certificates in Motor Industry (Automotive Heavy Engineering) Level 3 and 4.
Automotive Heavy Braking Systems
Automotive Heavy Hydraulics 1
Automotive Heavy Transmission systems 1
Automotive Preventative Maintenance Heavy
Fuel Systems and Exhausts 1
Steering and Suspension