Preview Email Content
DegreeFull-time, 3 years
Domestic Applications due
|Received all year|
International Applications due
|Christchurch - Madras Street|
Annual Fees(indicative 2019)
Domestic$7,900 - $8,600
Course related costs$1,000 per year.
About this programme
Add technical skills and knowledge to your creative abilities for a career in architectural design.
During the first two years of the programme we will take you through foundation studies in drawing, computer-aided design, building design and related sciences. You will also study building legislation and codes as they relate to architecture.
In your final year you will specialise in architectural technology with a focus on technological subjects such as:
- Construction and Technology
- Architectural Science
- Computer aided design
You'll spend about 40 hours a week in practical workshops, lectures and undertaking your own independent research and practice. It's pretty much a 9-5 timetable. In your first year of study you can expect to spend about 20-25 hours per week in class and 15-20 hours in independent study.
On completion of this qualification, you will have gained dual knowledge in both the technical and the design aspects of the built environment.
Career opportunities include working as team members in an established architectural practice, and eventually setting up your own practice, or choosing to continue your studies to become a registered architect.
You can apply to staircase into a five year Bachelor of Architecture or higher degree, at another institute to become a Registered Architect.
Recommended school subjects
To complete this Degree you are required to complete 360 credits. Please browse the guide below to view the course options currently available within this qualification.
To be a full time student you need to maintain a workload of 120 credits per year. We recommend you talk with us to ensure you choose electives to benefit your future career.
University Entrance: NCEA Level 3 (60 credits at level 3 and 20 credits at level 2 or higher) which must include
- 14 credits at Level 3 in each of three approved subjects*
as well as
- Literacy* - 10 credits at Level 2 or above, made up of 5 credits in reading, 5 credits in writing,
- Numeracy* - 10 credits at Level 1 or above (specified achievement standards, or unit standards 26623, 26626, 26627)
- New Zealand Certificate in Study and Career Preparation (Level 4) Ara Construction and Architectural Studies Pathway or equivalent.
Note: If you have undertaken examinations other than NCEA (e.g. International Baccalaureate, Cambridge Examination), Ara will assess your qualification for academic entry equivalency.
* NZQA approved subjects: see http://www.nzqa.govt.nz/qualifications-standards/awards/university-entrance/
Still want to study but don't meet the Academic Requirements?
If you show that you have equivalent skills for tertiary study gained through study, work and/or life experience, you may be able to gain alternative entry.
Note: The number of courses you have to complete for this qualification may be reduced where you have relevant credits from previous study, or evidence of similar learning or experience in the workplace. Contact Ara for advice.
In addition, you need to:
- Provide a portfolio demonstrating design, graphic and/or art skills equivalent to NCEA Level 3. Contact the School of Architectural Studies for details of the portfolio requirements.
What if English is not my first Language?
If English is not your first language, we want to make sure that you will be successful in your chosen programme of study. Please provide a result from a test or qualification on the acceptable alternatives English Proficiency Outcomes Chart .
- If you are a New Zealand Citizen or Permanent Resident, complete an Admission and Enrolment form and Ara will contact you regarding a free assessment.
- If you are not a New Zealand Citizen or Permanent resident, book an IELTS, Pearson or other test through the Ara Examination Centre or in your home country.
IELTS scores used must be taken from a single IELTS test report form and are valid for two years from the date of the test.
What if I have achieved NCEA Level 3 University Entrance?
You do not need to provide additional evidence of English Language skills.
OVERALL IELTS REQUIREMENTS
Applicants who meet the entry requirements will be accepted into the programme in the order that applications are received.
To apply for this programme please:
- complete an architectural studies domestic application pack or an architectural studies international application pack.
If you don't meet the criteria for entry into this programme, we can help you meet entry level with our foundation and bridging programmes.
Your on-the-job experience may count towards part or even all of this qualification. To learn more, contact our Centre for Assessment of Prior Learning (CAPL) .
If you have work experience in this area, or a relevant prior qualification, you may be eligible for credit recognition towards this qualification.
Architectural Communication 3
Architectural Design Studio 3
Architectural Design Studio 4
Architectural Technology 3
Architectural Technology 4
Critical History of Architecture 2
Restoration & Conservation 1
Sustainable Rating Tools and Natural Mater...
Urban Design Studio 1
Architectural Design Studio 5
Architectural Design Studio 6
Architectural Industry Practice
Building Information Modelling (BIM)
Critical History of Architecture 3
Urban Design Studio 2