To develop a sound understanding in the theory and application of thermodynamics, especially as related to heat engines, process and environment heating/cooling.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the laws of thermodynamics
- Analyse common IC engine cycles and explain their operation and their effects on the environment
- Demonstrate an understanding of process heating/cooling systems
- Explain nozzle terminology and calculate velocities and pressures
- Outline HVAC system operation and equipment and determine heating, cooling and hehumifing loads
- Determine air/fuel ratios and exhaust analysis for common fuels and describe their handling requirements