To develop an understanding and advanced knowledge of strengths of materials and the detailed design of mechanical engineering components.
- Apply strengths of materials theory to complicated engineering applications
- Design beams in steel, timber and concrete and determine deflections for complex loading situations
- Design pressure cylinder application
- Calculate the failure load for eccentrically loaded columns
- Design plate application
- Design springs and determine operations stresses and deflections
- Demonstrate an understanding of relevant design codes