To enable Registered Nurses to further develop their clinical and theoretical knowledge, and skills required for surgical high dependency nursing practice.
- analyse the role and scope of nursing practice within health care provision for patients with/or at risk of critical illness.
- examine common health alterations and their influence upon patient dependency.
- analyse physiological responses to common health alterations following surgical procedures to provide rationale for nursing actions.
- assess patients: determine, obtain, utilise and evaluate appropriate information in order to prioritise nursing and collaborative intervention.
- analyse and evaluate the use of monitoring equipment and procedures in clinical practice.
- discuss the effects that common pharmacological intervention and administration may have upon the individual.
- analyse the relationships between patient assessment, therapeutic intervention and evaluation.
- discuss the impact of critical illness upon the individual and their family.
- work safely and independently within the specialty environment.