To enable Registered Nurses to develop their knowledge in relationship to supporting individuals and their families in situations of bereavement, loss and change.
- recognise institutional responses to death and dying.
- critically reflect on how bereavement and loss are managed within nursing.
- consider the issues related to grief in terminal illness.
- utilise knowledge of the key social and cultural aspects of grief in the care of a person and their family with a life threatening illness.
- apply ethical theories to the practice setting.
- apply knowledge of the impact that a cancer diagnosis and on-going treatment can have on the patient and their family.