To enable Registered Nurses to further develop knowledge skills and practice relating to the nursing management of individuals requiring advanced cardio-respiratory monitoring and/or support.
- analyse the role and scope of nursing practice within health care provision for patients requiring advanced monitoring and therapeutic intervention.
- discuss cardiac and respiratory physiology and the impact of alteration(s) in function.
- analyse and evaluate current approaches to cardio-respiratory assessment and monitoring.
- examine common therapeutic interventions and their role in the management of people with acute and existing cardiac or respiratory compromise.
- assess patients: determine, obtain, utilise and evaluate appropriate information in order to support and rationalise clinical decision making and nursing actions.
- demonstrate proficient technical skills in the use and application of specialty equipment and procedures.
- analyse the relationships between patient assessment, monitoring, therapeutic intervention and evaluation.
- discuss the effects that common pharmacological intervention and administration may have upon the individual with acute cardiac and/or respiratory compromise.