What is SIGNAL?
SIGNAL is an ICT graduate school established through a collaboration between Ara Institute of Canterbury, Lincoln University, Otago Polytechnic, the University of Canterbury and the University of Otago.
Funded by the Tertiary Education Commission, SIGNAL’s aim is to support business growth, innovation and productivity by boosting New Zealand’s ICT talent, skills and leadership.
SIGNAL programmes are offered at each of the five participating institutions. This allows you to tap into the best IT education, research and development available at each. In addition to a formal graduate qualification, a SIGNAL programme will equip you with in-demand, work-relevant skills and an effective pathway into employment.
SIGNAL offers four graduate programmes: Educate, Xtend, Accelerate and Shift.
For more information on SIGNAL go to: www.signal.ac.nz
What is Shift?
Shift is a SIGNAL programme offered through Ara Institute of Canterbury and the University of Otago. It’s designed for graduates from non-ICT areas who wish to move into an ICT-focused career. Shift is also a good option if you work in an IT role already, but you’d like to enhance your skills and gain a formal qualification in ICT.
Shift is a one-year, full time programme that leads to the Graduate Diploma in ICT. There are two streams to choose from: Software Development - if you want to focus on programming - and Allied Roles - if you want to focus on other areas, for example testing, user experience, technical writing.
As a Shift student you’ll be regarded as a “professional from day one”. This acknowledges that you already possess valuable skills and experience, and reflects the responsibility you’ll take for your own learning.
What you’ll learn
During the first part of the Shift programme you will:
- explore the breadth of the IT industry, the career opportunities available and where you see your IT journey heading
- gain an understanding of the professional standards of the IT industry
- learn about Agile and Design Thinking
- hear from guest speakers and visit IT businesses
- work in an immersive studio environment, learning by doing
- work in small teams in various roles to solve real-world problems
- attend seminars and workshops with academics and industry experts to gain comprehensive knowledge of technical skills
- enhance your communication, teamwork and innovation skills
During the second part of the Shift programme you will:
- undertake an industry project, placement or internship
- take two courses from any of the five SIGNAL partner institutions
If you would like to find out more about SIGNAL Shift, email email@example.com.