At our Centre for Assessment of Prior Learning (CAPL), staff will guide and support you through the process of preparing for assessment.
The areas currently available through CAPL are:
- Applied Science
- Outdoor Education
- Construction Trades
- Engineering Trades
- Food & Hospitality
To apply for recognition of prior learning via CAPL, you will need to:
- Complete the CAPL Enquiry form OR download the relevant CAPL Application Pack
- Submit your application to CAPL
CAPL staff are available to assist 03 940 8214 / firstname.lastname@example.org.
How the CAPL process works
You can undertake CAPL’s credit recognition process at your own pace and in your own time so it won’t affect work or other commitments.
- Read the information pack and decide if the CAPL process is right for you.
- You may wish to discuss your on-the-job experience and/or previous qualification with a CAPL representative to identify which Ara qualification best suits your needs.
- Once you’ve identified a qualification, download the relevant application pack and submit your application.
- Attend an interview with CAPL / assessment staff.
- Agree on a pathway and accept the study fee service agreement.
- Gather evidence of your experience and address any skill gaps (this is where you start to compile what you know and research/study any areas you may be missing)
- Undertake an assessment; this may involve a series of discussions with an assessor, or making a presentation to a panel to demonstrate your expertise in relation to the qualification.
- Receive your qualification (once you’ve completed the assessment you’ll be awarded the whole qualification or credits towards the qualification. If the latter, CAPL staff will work with you to create a pathway to completing the remainder of the qualification).
CAPL facilitation and assessment fees vary depending on the qualification sought and the experience being assessed. Your assigned CAPL staff member will provide a service agreement once you’ve submitted an application.
|Phone||(03) 940 8214|
Rakaia Centre, City Campus