Student Advocacy is a free service for all students.
The Student Advocacy is to assist students facing difficulties inside or outside Ara that will affect their studies and their ability to achieve their academic goals.
Inside the Student Advocate can:
- provide support with academic probation
- provide support concerning relationship issues with either Ara staff or fellow students
- liaise with tutors or head of schools regarding concerns you may have
- inform members on Ara policies and procedures
- advocate for the rights of a student individually, classes or the entire student body.
Outside Ara the Student Advocate can:
- assist with problem solving
- to provide advocacy and support with government and non government agencies, e.g. StudyLink or Work and Income NZ
- support with everyday life issues
- support and referrals to address alcohol and drug issues, mental health issues, family violence, court proceedings, housing issues and counselling.
Privacy and confidentiality
The Student Advocate is a registered counsellor and a member of the New Zealand Association of Counsellors. They are bound by the Code of Ethics, Bicultural Code of Practice and Complaints Procedure of these organisations.
All records are kept in a locked office in a secure building facility.
All meetings between student advocate and students are confidential unless they are safety issues involved or permission has been granted from the student.
HoursHours by appointment.
|Phone||(03) 940 8518|
X106, Madras Street Entrance (next to Academic Records).